Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Lens advice- 2 choice
  • Hey guys,

I wonder if any have shot with these. The objective is that I want to put bmcc on a gimbal(birdycam, I'm doing a review, so save your comments on that gimbal till later) with a small light inexpensive lens. It needs to be wide to make gimbal flights look smoother. It needs to be light because I'm weak and a lot of what I will use it for will be wide moving chase or follow shots.

I have been using toking 11-16 on the gimbal and it's fine, but the lens is a full half kilo heavier than either of these and is too much for multiple running takes. Of course I will use other cameras that are lighter, but that's not the point of my query.

Here are the two choices I'm thinking about(I haven't used either)

1) Nikon 20mm 2.8f. I would use this with Metabones speed booster(for mft nikon, bmcc version was not out when I bought). (crop 20 * 2.39 * 0.74 = 35mm)

Pluses: will be fast with sb. Cons: the used one I'm looking at is the 1994+ version. Any bmcc speedbooster distortion, focus issues?

2) Canon's new 10-18 f4.5. Not fast. I would use Kipon adapter with aperature. I don't have the cash for speedbooster for this now. It does have OIS with speedbooster I believe. (crop 10 * 2.39= 24mm)

pluses: getting good reviews for such a cheap lens, brand new. cons: slow, plastic flange

I can get each for about the same price. Not an easy decision.