Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Help understanding GOP
  • Hi, I'm looking for some help in understanding the implications of selecting hacks with different GOP lengths (GH2). I've done some research and I'm beginning to get to grips with what a GOP is and why you would use different lengths of GOP and (kind of) understand what I,B and P frames are.

What I'm not sure about is this: If I need to render to an MPEG 2 with a closed GOP 15 frames long in format IBBP should this influence which hack I should choose to shoot with? Will selecting a hack with a different GOP structure be ok? Do I just specify this particular structure when I render from my NLE? Or is the GOP structure eternally fixed by the hack I choose to use?

Apologies if this has already been covered or if I'm just getting it all wrong! Any help will be much appreciated:-)

Thanks, Sean.

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks Vitaliy, I'll check it out.