Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
People use around 26 mobile apps per month

Even more surprising are the numbers in blue, which indicate how many hours a month users spent using these apps during Q4, 2013. The number is growing rapidly, with the last month accounting for 30:15 hours. Most of that time is spent with entertainment, search, portals and social apps.

Mobile apps are very similar to drugs.

http://www.androidauthority.com/app-usage-per-month-399694/

cons8.jpg
    564 x 456 - 32K
  • 6 Replies sorted by
  • I'm willing to bet that those of us who've got lives (ie this Personal-View community) use mobile devices more for productivity and art than for entertainment. (There are those who produce more than they consume)..

But, back to the statistics, it looks like most users, app-addicted or not, may well be settling down to around 25 apps which fit in with their lifestyle, whatever mix of social media, productivity etc they choose.

BTW, @Vitaliy_Kiselev, a PV on-the-road has always sort of been on my wish-list and mobile browsers don't cut it on small screens.

• Talking about apps, is there any interest to enable possibility to join personal-view website through Tapatalk, @VK?

• Rather than start a thread of most-used apps I've installed an app which tracks what apps I use historically. (For my own interest). Unfortunately, it wont show any history prior to the install.

For me, I now like the idea of eliminate anything that's wasting time - and I don't expect to find much at all, whereas there are people I know and love and miss terribly who'd be aghast at where their time has gone.

• Talking about apps, is there any interest to enable possibility to join personal-view website through Tapatalk, @VK?

Any reason for this? Tapatalk is made big old engines and designs mostly to make them simpler to consume.

• Well my app history shows up a lot of use by background routines, calling them "apps. "

Naturally most people using my OS are going to show similar results, eg Google Search seems to think I launch it, which I never do; the same goes for Stack Overdrive - apps with sticky relationships with us poor users.

Overall the Android Authority survey rings true. But I'll be watching out for other surveys to compare it with. I wouldn't trust users' word on what they're using any more than device audits.

I remember years ago when kids turned out to be listening to lots of Led Zeppelin recordings they got from swapping between friends; the radio stations' ratings guessed it wrong and the band got no royalties until iTunes came along...

• Here's the link to Nielsen's original survey results (and more, quality information):

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2014/smartphones-so-many-apps--so-much-time.html

for example,

-which, IMO, has a view beyond the mundane and commercial. To me, it helps reveal more about what social psychologists are talking about; each of us is needing to commit less to our individual memory, confident in that information being close at hand [via our devices].

Now that we've sacked most of the world's scientists in favour of a "fund yourself" model for any writing or research, we desperately need quality information on the role of mobile information on what's going on with these revolutionary changes in society's individual and group behaviour and thinking. -By which I mean, real studies, not just bite-sized, commercially motivated snippets or tweets!

See Socially distributed cognition.(Wikipedia)

Nielsen's Mobile Net View was installed on 5,000 volunteers' devices in order to produce these results. [Effectively reducing the sample group to users who'll accept sharing what many would consider confidential info]. -Download Mobile Net View FAQ (PDF).