Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Lenses for Canon FD mount
  • 188 Replies sorted by
  • So I guess I am on my own?

• I'm willing to believe that, but on the newer FD lens I have, it also would not open and close until I messed with the levers and stuff, but it works flawlessly now. So assuming you are right, what steps do I need to take to fix it. I opened the newer one and succesfully declicked it with 3 days of trial and error, so I am pretty sure I can handle this one, but directions are always appreciated.

• @mee but the aperture/iris doesn't actually move? If yes, then it's stuck.

• @itimjim, thanks for the response. The aperture is ring rotating very smoothly.

• @mee it could be that the aperture is stuck. Is the aperture ring rotating?

• One of the 50mm f1.8 lenses I picked up recently is an older breach lock design, and the aperture was set to wide open by the guy that helped me, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to adjust it now on this lens. I figured out the newer 50mm f1.8 lens (took a bit of time), but this one has me stumped. Can someone please guide me?

• Thanks Allenswrench, I really appreciate it, and will put the lens to good use. I will PM you my address.

• Directors who get big-ass commercial contracts don't even know how it works... I open my case and all my FD's have m43 adapter and a 77 step up rings... they are , what are these lenses???will it if hahah :) then you strip the lens for a RED and they are condescending a bit... Although, you can see as soon as you open my case 1 thing... all the ff rings are aligned. CP2s are also all same lenght but they are 10 times more expensive :)

• Well, you can buy a small uplighter in Ikea, and leave the lens on it...that in a week or so gets rid of the yellow hue. Canon did measurements, and if they are to be trusted, the lifetime exposure to carrying this lens on your body is neglible. However, the breech and nFD lenses could not be more different. The breech FDs are very "dark and deep" looking as people tend to say, and after that, the nFDs tend to almost look "blue" or cold. Off course, this is nonsense, as the Samyangs look very "gray" and "sharpened" and they are way more extreme designs (but newer). Really, the old FDs are hit or miss.... most of them don't work with follow focus, but you have to admire the optics and heavy metal make. The nFDs are (from what I have seen) super matched to BCD RAW so many fans will jump onto it, making 70ties clips nobody wants to see. The most ridiculous was the appearance of the RED FD adapter that fried a couple of Epics and Scarlets...I GUESS it's not ready for primetime yet! However, the FDs shot up in price.....

• As far as radioactive lenses is concerned, watch out for the FLs as well.

28 3.5 50 1.8 And of course the beautiful 58 1.2 (couldn't let that one go... ;)

• Hi @mee , first of all thanks for elaborating exactely along the lines. I will send you the lens regardless of what opinions are (please PM me for address etc). Please note also that I always write "exactely" in stead of exactly as it makes it easy to google my posts on different sites. I hope the 35 will help you in your storytelling - it sure is very special. There were 2 reasons why it was in the "egg basket"; first, it was an older breech FD, seeming more yellow and contrasty (contrast allegedly due to thorium), and secondly, since its huge focus ring was not made for follow focus and it would move while pulling focus. So, this one is going to Japan :) All my Fd's are my children, and although all being originally japanese, my final set came from all over :)

24 f2 from Japan 28 f2 from @mimirsan (very nice forum member in the UK) 35 f2 from Canada 50 f1,2 from Germany 85 f1,8 from the UK and a non FD 12mm f1,6 from Netherlands (but actually from China)

As I am getting rid of my "egg basket", another 2 lenses will be available... sorry no 35 f2 or so, but I have excellents nFD copies of 50mm 1,8 and nFD 28mm 2,8 . I kept these in case something happened to my fabulous 5 but now I will be giving them away.

• To elaborate a bit on my situation. I have chosen FD's because of a combination of money (lack of) and a desire to use some manual lenses to improve my skill. I know FD lenses aren't the best out there, but allot of different FD lenses are reasonable for my budget, meaning I can afford to get a few really cheap ones a month, or maybe one really nice one every three months, giving me a wide spectrum of lenses to experiment with. Hopefully in the near future I can actually get paid for my video skills a bit, and if that bit becomes a bit more I would like to invest in better newer lenses at some stage. That stage is just not in site at this moment.

I really would like some comments related directly to what you don't like about the zoom lens, ie some pointers on what I should be looking at as good and bad. I literally have used this lens just 2 or 3 times now, so I am sure I can find its strengths and weaknesses with a bit of help and improve the way I use it. My next investment will be a wide angle fast lens. I am hoping very wide, very fast. I have two 50mm F1.8 FD's, one newer, one older, the older one I can't figure out how to get the aperture to work, and the newer one seems to have some light issues (like the light fluctuates)

• @allenswrench that's quite the offer.

I suppose I should have mentioned some other facts about the videos. 1st, I was using a tripod 2nd in the big cat shot I was at near maximum zoom in Ex Tele, and was also probably at F8. Vimeo added a bunch of unpleasant noise to the big cat shot. With the Elephant I was also very zoomed in, though I can't remember if it was Ex Tele mode or not. With the elephant shot I started wide open at f5.6 and stopped it down to 11 I believe. I don't think I messed with the film speed while recording, though it is possible. Then with the Red Panda I was zoomed in, but I am guessing not on ex tele, at this point I had pretty decent light so was probably at F11 or greater. The film speeds I used throughout the day were 125 and 250 for some of the faster animals, but these were likely all 125.

So now to answer your questions.

I am happy with this lens. I chose this lens simply because it was available, it was lighter than other FD's available in my price range and I wanted a zoom lens so I could do a combination of wild life shooting, landmark spotting from hilltops, and candid crowd shots in Tokyo.

I bought the GH2 because I have wanted to make films as far back as I can remember, but it was never within my reach to have the equipment to do this with. Being that the GH2 pretty much coincided with my move to Japan, and many things I wanted to film as a tourist it just made sense to make the leap now, since even if I don't achieve my dreams of making films I will have some wonderful images of Japan to remember for the rest of my life, as well as sharing them with friends and family.

As for what type of filming I want to do with the GH2, it is a pretty wide spectrum. I am planning some documentary's, some short films, and a feature for when I am more comfortable using this camera adequately. I really love filming nature, and traditional life in Japan as well. I also have plans to start filming local car shows and skaters (skateboarders), and I have just started working on claymation. I am an atypical ADD case, so I need to be doing many things if I want to do anything.

• @mee Hi, this is an interesting post, so I'll make you a deal, but need some answers first; What are you expecting from this lens? Are you happy with it? I tend to agree with Vitaly on tele options for m43-I have none but if I needed one I'd get the panasonic zooms with OS. Still, as a huge fan of FDs, I am intrigued to see this, it's like 3 different lenses in this video to my eyes to be honest. It seems you switch shutter speeds and apertures in a same shot. I have to commend your steady hand, I can't hand hold my 85mm (I like the booze so I invest in stabilizers :) I found that with my clients the BEST and most important question is always: "what is it exactely you want to achieve". Handheld wildlife? - stabilization could help you a great deal with this with cheap Panasonic zooms. Tripod and wildlife - well, even more and faster options from Olympus. I am going to contradict myself here hugely, but FD's are (except for build quality and some exceptions) quite shit lenses! My main and only full set are FD's (carefully selected with many literally thrown away) but they serve a VERY specific purpose - you can do a multicam with an identical looking image and work very fast this way. Also, all my FDs are primes, and although not stellar, they are all very decent and respectable.

To make it more interesting, I'll make you a Personal View deal:

Please explain in great detail: 1. what it is that you would like to do with the GH2 exactely and why you have chosen it, and 2. why did you think this FD lens was the best choice for this purpose and I will send you (you pay shipping) the radioactive FD 35mm f/2 if most people here agree I should. It is one of the 3 lenses from my "egg basket"- the ones I have not kept for my set and did not put on our "lemon tree"(a little chinese chrismass tree with barbwire with all the lemon FDs from eBay. It is also the only non nFD I have kept.

I think you will get way more use from it than me (I will probably never use it), and it could be fun. Also, optically it is better than your zoom, but hey, that is to be expected.

So, what say you? :)

PS Just to be clear, this is in the spirit of giving back, and actually, I would not mind giving away the other 2 FD's as a contest, as long as the people pledge to donate to this site.

FD 35.png
    612 x 612 - 697K
  • Here's a few more videos shot with the 100-300mm lens. Any feedback, bad or good would be appreciated. I am definitely still getting the hang of the lens, so I mean feedback on the lens, not the cameraman. Their are about 4 soft vertical lines in the cat video (one through the right eye), this is from out of focus cage bars in the foreground, not the lens.

Feedback on the lens por favor.

• Some older breech mount FDs use a thorium lens element, especially the 35mm f2. This is the reason, and it is very well known.

• @chazzmoe interesting bit of info. I was not aware of this. What is the reason for the high radiation levels in some lenses?

Being that I moved to Tokyo in March of 2011, I have a pretty decent Geiger counter/dosimeter. I am happy to say non of my three FD lenses showed any rise in radiation. Granted everything is radiated here, but it was a bit lower than usual day when I tested yesterday, at just .10 millisieverts per hour (average is about .13 from central tokyo to kyoto). I forget what the cfm conversion is, but the noise in that video you posted sounded pretty extensive. My counter is beep, or vibration based, though it does use a Mueller tube. If anyone is truly worried about their particular lens model, make post it here, and my next outing I will do my best to test lenses at the shop. I suspect most employees will find this interesting and allow it.

• I was a big fan of the FD 55mm f1.2, built like a tank, smooth focusing, just a really well made lens. It was a little "dreamy" looking wide open but still usable. Anyway I ran across this video and sold mine off. Some of the older Pentax and Olympus lenses do this as well, it's really a case by case issue and if you search google on a particular lens, you can usually find out of its radioactive. Some people say its harmless which it probably is but I error on the safe side myself lol.

• I received my FD adapters from Cieco7 a couple days ago, and finally had a chance to do some tests in my back yard this morning. This is the FD 100-300mm 5.6 lens w/Macro Version II. Same body as L version, and I have read some promising reviews. I am no expert though, so I appreciate feedback on what you folks think of this lens. All videos were shot with Driftwoods VY Canis Majoris Night (will test with day soon), with setting at standard 0 0 0 0

first video was shot wide open at 5.6 with 125 shutter speed and ISO 640
    Second video was shot at either F8 or F11 with 125 shutter speed and ISO 640
    third video was shot in EX TELE wide open at 5.6 with 125 shutter speed at ISO 640
    fourth video was shot in EX TELE at maximum zoom wide open at 5.6 with 125 shutter speed at ISO 640

On a side note, the Cieco7 adapaters are great, however I cannot personally recommend buying the one with the tripod mount because it wobbles too much. I had to place a sock under the lens, and back of the camera to get it someone stable. Next tests I will try it with the regular adapter, and just mount the camera to the tripod. I expect better results. I think Cieco7 could fix this design flaw by making two contact points with the adapter, one towards the front and the current rear one. Or even a solid piece from front to back. Literally anytime I touched the lens to focus or zoom the wobble was unbearable. Considering the point of the tripod mount is to use with TELE lenses that will be more sensitive to movement this seems a necessary fix.

• Can someone please enlighten me, as mentioned earlier I purchased a Canon FD 100-300mm lens, it proved very difficult to find what it was since it looked just like the FD L without the red stripe. I finally found that mine is the 100-300mm (version 2), and below are stats for my lens and the 100-300mm L lens . So minus 5 grams and a slight difference in Grp -El (huh?), they obviously have a lot in common. So my question is what is the difference? Different glass, or just the lens coating? It's hard for me to imagine lens coating weighs 5 grams, but what do I know.

New FD 100-300mm f/5.6 9-15 24°- 8° 15' Auto 32 2 71.4x172 705

New FD 100-300mm f/5.6L 10-15 24°- 8° 15' Auto 32 2 71.4x172 710

Update, I found my answer, http://web.archive.org/web/20011226064209/garycoombs.com/LensWork/LensWork116.htm

• Also after much complication due to the lack of a paypal account, I finally managed to order two Cieco7 FD adapters last week. One with the mount for heavier lenses, one without. I plan on gifting one of them to my father who recently picked up a GF3. He will never get anything other than the 14-42 if I don't open the door for him a bit. I have to wait a bit because Japans post offices are closed due to golden week, so three FD lenses now taunt me until hopefully next week sometime.

• Great to see this topic open back up from my inquiries, and I appreciate all the imput. Today I headed to Akihabara and as I was almost rounding up my search for memory (was looking for used camera shops as I had seen them before there, but couldn't for the life of me find them) I walked by a man that said "nice tripod" to me. He had a nice Camera in Hand (Sony?) and he went up a into a narrow opening and up an even narrower staircase.. I started walking on and then said to myself "wait, he knew my manfrotto was good, he has a nice camera, he probably knows a used camera shop or two in the area" So up the stair case I go, quickly noticing a small sign with the word "Camera"! I walk into the tiny doorway on the second floor, seeing almost nothing but used lenses, and the man. I picked up two 50mm FD 1.8 lenses (one older style, one newer) for about 30 bucks !! Both in very good condition, inspected by my new friend, who turned out to be an Akihabara tour guide that just got off work, and took it upon himself to then give me a free 2 hour guide of about half a dozen used camera shops, telling me specifically which ones had the goods vs mediocre lenses. I don't think I could've had better luck.

• @lenuisible I guess it is a matter of personal preference as well, but I find the nFD have a better build quality. All the older FDs I have are rickety and move when used with a follow focus = ruined shot. Also, the thorium lenses are inevitably yellowish to some extent. nFDs I have, on the other hand are compact, sharp and with pure colors. Even the SLR Magic 12mm t1.6 has a pretty similar look, which is why I got it as the widest FD I have is 24mm. If I try to mix the old FDs with the nFDs, the difference is so huge it's incredible.

• In my armoury of Canon nFD's, I currently have:

28/2 28/2.8 35/2 50/1.4 50/3.5 Macro 85/1.8 135/2.8

Without a shadow of doubt the star performer is the 35/2 - it's incredible. Next after that is the 85/1.8, long, but fabulous bokeh. The 50/1.4 is a great low light performer, but a bit 'too' dreamy at 1.4 for all around use. The 28/2 suffers from internal flare a lot wide open; it's not a lens you want to overexpose.

Cieco7 is the best adapter I've used, but you might want to change the screws on the collar as it's tight. I personally don't get the advantage of older breech lock, and the build quality it superb by any of today's standards.

I used to have the 200/2.8. Epic lens, but too much of a beast on mFT.

• At one point I was going to sell my set of FD lenses but I'm glad I didn't as I have a very affordable alternative to MFT lenses. For cinematic use it's great since they are much easier to focus manually. I use the ciecio7 adapter for the build quality. My only wish is that it had a lever or switch to go from stop down mode to wide open (easier to focus when the aperture is open all the way). Having to click the aperture ring all the way back to wide open is kind of a pain sometimes.

I have the nFD 50/1.8. The 1.4 version is probably sharper at first but I think I'd invest in another prime before getting the better version.