Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic GH2 Hacks good for a Noob
  • Hi There,

I know the GH2 hack topic has been discussed extensively on this forum and thanks to @driftwood for the great work, but as a noob I was hoping someone can help break down some of the benefits of the following Hacks that seem to be very popular. I want to get the best quality video and stills possible without compromising stability.

From my research these seem to be some of the most popular hacks out there: TerraQuake, Mysteron, Sedna, Quantum...

My main reason for purchasing the camera is to shoot a music video in the park. Lots of greens and earthy colors during the daytime. Yet I want to create my own versatile Cam for great video and stills while being stable.

Not sure if any of the patches I mention can produce stunning images and video in this setting. Would that same patch be good for shooting low light indoor settings? Also, maybe a silly question but do these hacks work with video and stills?

Quantum 9b looks like it does great with lowlight:

However I've seen some videos slight glitches in the footage with more movement involved:

Please keep in mind I will be using a 64 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s.

I found this link very useful, for noobs attempting to hack their GH2: http://www.sam-mallery.com/2011/11/an-ez-guide-to-hacking-the-panasonic-gh2/

I'm looking for experienced filmographers who can direct me accordingly - pros and cons.

Any help would be extremely appreciated and help relief a lot of anxiety accompanying this process ; )

Thank you all!!

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • I shoot a lot of interviews with CEO's, so for me, reliability is paramount. With flow motion 2.2, I great great image quality in HBR mode (forgot to mention I have to shoot at 25fps) and outstanding reliability. If you're unrestricted by delivery frame rates, you might be better off with a driftwood hack. The key is experimenting with a few flavours of hack - one man's meat etc etc

• Thanks for the insight @mrbill. I've gone through most of the hacks above and have to agree with you. Reliability is paramount. The best footage I got was with 178Mb GOP1 but it's unfortunately highly unstable. I filmed 15 minutes at a memorial day event and none of it was on the SD card. Everything seemed functioning while recording, bummer I had a chance to film a military chopper taking off from up-close. I was using a 64 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s. After that I tried Quantum X, Sedona and settled on FlowMotion 2.2 for now. I'm getting good results and they keep getting better as I learn. I have to say though that it was close between Sedona and FlowMotion 2.2. I managed to get more vibrant color shades with Sedona and seems to be good for low light situations. I'll probably go back and try them again.