Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sony A7s, FHD camera, with 12Mp sensor, big DR
  • 1100 Replies sorted by
  • @agoltz, be sure to note that in that comparison the two cameras aren't at the same ISO setting. The a7S is set 3 stops higher. Cine 4 on the a7S can go down to ISO 200, so I don't know why he started at ISO 3200.

• I think 3200 is supposed to be cleanest ISO on A7s due to whatever trickey Sony is using for insane high ISO

• 3200 is not cleanest. Lower ISOs are cleaner.

• Can anyone explain to me why S-LOG2 affects RAW photos at iso 3200? I get files that are slightly noisier, but with way more dynamic range, especially in the highlights.

• When the picture profile is set to S-Log2 and you shoot raw photos at ISO 3200, it gives you the range of ISO 640.

I don't think there's any good reason to use S-Log2 for raw stills. Aside from that ISO quirk, the picture profile doesn't affect the raw image, the minimum ISO isn't available, and the display shows unnatural contrast. Just pick a normal picture profile for stills.

• Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 / Sony Alpha 7S Comparative Review at

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonic-dmc-gh4-sony-alpha-7s

• My Latest Production. This Time Using The Sony A7S

• Tatzu, what was your setup outside? Did you film in slog2?

• @daisuke No i didn't use Slog2 because i'm a bit hesitant to throw a 10stop nd filter on there... I used picture profile 5 at the default settings which still provide a very good amount of dynamic range.

• Has anyone run into the issue of audio from a7s footage not playing back in Resolve 11? Any workarounds?

• @OzNimbus I have been playing around with Slog2 25p footage from the A7s (from a friend) in Resolve and also Audio does not play back (it is actually not even displayed in the audio track). Not shure what's wrong here.

• I don't think they support it. Which is kinda bullshit, IMO. Got used to working with multiple nodes in Resolve for BMPCC & would like to continue to do so with the A7s. Not having audio really sucks.

Meanwhile, here's a still I shot. Man, this thing is incredible in low light :)

053.jpg
    1500 x 1001 - 1M
  • A still at iso 160? and a 10 sec shutter! hmm.

• Yeah, I wanted to smooth the water.

• 'this thing is incredible on low light'. Yeah this is true, but using a 10 sec shutter with iso 160, any cam can make that shot...

• Yeah. I also took clips for a music video using the bridge on the background & my cell phone to light the foreground. That kind of blew my mind.

• ...and here's a frame grab from a video clip. ISO 30,000 using light creeping into a basement from some small windows. Did I mention the footage is really easy to grade?

tj A7S - available light_1.1.1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 973K
  • unbelievable shot for ISO 30.000 !

• Really love this camera. I was doing some coverage of DragonCon in Atlanta for work over the weekend and figured some of the dark interior spaces of the convention hotels might be a good place to test this camera out, so I rented one for the weekend with a few days to get used to it beforehand.

After a week with the camera, I'm totally sold on it. It definitely has more quirks about it than the GH4 - ergonomics primarily, the menu system, lack of customizable functions, but also a little less versatility overall, and yes the rolling shutter can cause problems at times although nothing I'm not used to from other cameras. In available light situations this camera is a complete no-brainer. I'm excited to purchase one soon (I will probably sell off my 5Dmk3 to make it something like an even trade) and experiment more.

I hope they can add internal 4K to the next iteration, and mitigate some of the other weird drawbacks around the custom function buttons in a firmware update, but it's already excellent as-is. I shipped it back to the rental place today and I miss it already.

• Holy shit! I wish I could shoot picture like that with ISO 800 on my GX1.

• It is totally sad that this otherwise awsome camera has stupid 30min recording time limit. How should I record a 1.5h concert if I can't run to restart the camera in the middle of the silent piece?

Sony, you won't get my money for this :-(
    30-min-limit sucks! I would rather pay few $ more, but this creepy limitation is simply no-go for my needs.

• easy, tetakpatak: get a proper video camera!